Historic Registers

Nominating an individual property or an entire district to the National Register of Historic Places can be a daunting task. HistoryTech can handle the entire process with expertise and efficiency. {MORE}

Architectural History

Our team members take architectural documentation, evaluation, and historical research to a new level, helping to place your property into context and determine its significance. {MORE}

Historic Deed Platting

Using state of the art Geographic Information System (GIS) mapping technology, HistoryTech can help vividly illustrate the history of a property, or help solve long-standing mysteries regarding ownership, boundaries, etc. {MORE}

Founded in 2005, HistoryTech (formerly The Antiquaries) is a small, client-focused historic preservation consulting firm based in Lynchburg, Virginia. Services offered include National Register of Historic Places Nominations, Historic Structures Reports, Building and Land Research, Deed Mapping, and Genealogical Research. The firm works primarily with private landowners, developers, architectural firms, local governments, and stakeholder groups/grassroots organizations.

Norwood-Wingina Historic Resources Survey

Click here to download a .pdf copy of the 6/30/14 (prefinal) report:

file icon pdf Download Report

The Norwood-Wingina Historic Resources Survey, conducted in 2012-14, was funded by the County of Nelson and the Cost Share Program of the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR). The survey was modeled on DHR’s “Guidelines for Conducting Survey in Virginia for Cost Share Projects” (October 2011) and was undertaken by HistoryTech, LLC.

Read more...

Pierce Street Historic District Listed in Virginia Landmarks Register

The Pierce Street Historic District encompasses approximately 5 acres of urban residential neighborhood to the south of Lynchburg’s central business district and just north of the Kemper Street Industrial Historic District. The district includes approximately 26 contributing resources and 6 non-contributing resources. Two properties within the historic district, the Anne Spencer House and the Dr. Walter Johnson House and Tennis Court, are individually listed in the NRHP. The district has a period of significance beginning in 1862 with the creation of Camp Davis, which after the Civil War served as a safe haven for formerly enslaved African Americans under the auspices of the Freedmen’s Bureau. The period of significance ends in 1964.

Read more...

Ohioan seeks his Amherst County roots, appeals to locals for help

More than a decade ago, Kenneth E. Jones of Blacklick, Ohio embarked on a quest to discover the story of his ancestors, who called Amherst County home for over a century. During this time, Ken has learned a great deal about his family, including the locations of four family farms in the county. However, a key piece of the puzzle has remained elusive: the locations of the graves of his Jones forebears. Ken is hopeful that perhaps an Amherst County resident who reads this story may know of one or more cemeteries that contain his ancestors.

In 1775, on the eve of the American Revolution, Ken’s 4th great grandparents, Richard and Nanny Jones of Cumberland County, purchased 300 acres on Rutledge Creek (on the north side of what is now Waugh’s Ferry Road in the Town of Amherst). Richard Jones had died by 1790, but the locations of the graves of Richard and Nannie are unknown.

Click "Read More" for additional family information, maps, and more!

Read more...

Maj. James Woods House Listed in National Register

Constructed circa 1795 for Major James Woods (1761-1832), Three Chimneys is one of the earliest extant brick houses in Nelson County. The Georgian house with Classical Revival modifications features Flemish bond brickwork, an unusual floor plan, and one of the most elaborate chimney pieces in the area. The property also has several extant outbuildings including an original kitchen constructed of brick laid in Flemish bond.

The Major James Woods House (Three Chimneys) has a period of significance ranging from 1795 to 1915, beginning with the approximate date of the house’s initial construction and ending with the period in which James Jeter Goodwin and Ressie Goodloe Goodwin added Classical Revival features to the house. It is locally significant under Criterion C as an excellent example of a late Georgian dwelling in Nelson County.

The property was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on 24 December 2013.

Dulwich Manor Listed in National Register

Constructed in 1909 for Norfolk, Virginia, real estate mogul Herman Lawrence Page, Dulwich Manor (also known as Dulwich Farm or Dulwich House)  is one of the largest and most ornate homes constructed in Amherst County during the first half of the 20th century, and is, by far, the most significant example of a purpose-built summer home in the county. The Neoclassical mansion features Flemish bond brickwork with brick quoins, diorite stone window sills and keystones, a steeply-pitched hipped roof covered with slate, and a massive two-story portico supported by Ionic columns. Used for recreation and entertainment by the Page family for more than four decades, the house boasts large and open public spaces on the first floor.

Dulwich Manor has a period of significance of 1909, signifying the year that the house was constructed. It is locally significant under Criterion C as the largest and most ornate example of an extant Neoclassical home constructed in Amherst County during the first half of the twentieth century. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on 28 May 2013.

Collins Ferry Historic District Listed in National Register

The Collins Ferry Historic District encompasses approximately 740 acres of forest and farmland in northern Halifax County along the Staunton River. The district includes eighteen contributing resources and one non-contributing resource, and consists of two neighboring, but distinct, farmsteads: William Collins’ “Collins Ferry” to the north and McHaney Hubbard’s farm to the south. Historically, these two properties were linked by a road, built in 1814, that connected DeJarnette’ s Road (now Bull Creek Road) to William Collins’ mill and ferry (established in 1812 and 1814, respectively) on the Staunton River. While the ferry ceased operation in the early 20th century, the road remained in use and was called McIver’s Ferry Road (after its late-19th century owner). Today, both properties in the district use segments of this road as driveways or farm roads.

Read more...

More Articles...

Page 1 of 2

Start
Prev
1
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on LinkedIn!
Follow us on Twitter!
Join us on Google+!